time shift in CEST

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Fri Oct 27 16:31:21 UTC 2006

On Thu, 26 Oct 2006, Grazyna Rymaszewska wrote:

> Hello everybody!
>
> We are expecting time shift by 1 hour ahead on Sunday.

Back?

> I hope it will be done automaticly, but I am not sure if the settngs
> in my servers are correct.
>
> On one server in /etc/sysconfig/clock we have:
> Zone='Europe/Warsaw'
> UTC=true
> ARC=false

If UTC=true (and your hardware clock is set to UTC), then Linux will do
the right thing under any circumstances (assuming tzdata specifies the
right thing...).

> On the other server in /etc/sysconfig/clock:
> Zone='Europe/Warsaw'
> UTC=false
> ARC=false

If UTC=false (and your hardware clock is local time), then RH Linux will
do the right thing only if it is running at the time of the change.  It
will also correct the hardware clock at the next reboot.  If the system is
off at the change time, it will assume at next startup that the hardware
clock contains the correct local time, so you will need to set that
manually.

I always set servers to UTC=true for this reason.

(Note that dual-boot Windows machines have a very hard time with this.)

--
 		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu