CUPS BrowseTimeout

Michael Scully agentscully at flexiblestrategies.com
Fri Oct 27 17:33:10 UTC 2006

Greetings:

	I've had problems with RHEL 4 in how the CUPS BrowseTimeout function
works.  It defaults to 300 seconds, and changing the value in the
/etc/cups/cupsd.conf file doesn't seem to change things.  This is a real
headache where someone will turn off a network printer like an HP Laser with
JetDirect card for more than 5 minutes.  CUPS still allows jobs to spool to
the destination, but it has disabled the printer, so nothing prints without
resetting it with the cupsenable command.

	I've set the value to a huge number, yet whenever I do lpstat to
check on a stalled print queue, the results show that the destination was
disabled at 300 seconds.

	Has anyone else encountered this and found the issue?

Scully