st0: Error with sense data ?

Greg Wiggill gregw at pronto.com.au
Mon Oct 2 03:41:31 UTC 2006

Once a week I have a random  /dev/st0 input/output error with an LTO on
xSeries 236 running ES Ver 4  2.6.9-22.Elsmp.

Tapes are loaded correctly and are write enabled.

cat /proc/scsi/scsi

Host: scsi4 Channel: 00 Id: 03 Lun: 00
 Vendor: IBM      Model: HH LTO Gen 2     Rev: 0202
 Type:   Sequential-Access                ANSI SCSI revision: 03

dmesg | grep st0 shows  ?

st0: Error with sense data: Current st0: sense key Illegal Request
Attached scsi tape st0 at scsi4, channel 0, id 3, lun 0
st0: try direct i/o: yes (alignment 512 B), max page reachable by HBA
134217727
st0: Block limits 256 - 524288 bytes.

lsmod

scsi_mod              116429  6 aic79xx,usb_storage,st,sg,ips,sd_mod

Should I blow away the TAPE in /etc/sysconfig/hwconf and let kudzu find
it again on reboot ?

Can anyone interpret the sense data messages ?

Does the tape need some manual config settings ?

Thanks
Greg