[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]

RE: redhat-list Digest, Vol 32, Issue 2




-----Original Message-----
From: redhat-list-bounces redhat com [mailto:redhat-list-bounces redhat com] On Behalf Of redhat-list-request redhat com
Sent: Tuesday, October 03, 2006 9:00 AM
To: redhat-list redhat com
Subject: redhat-list Digest, Vol 32, Issue 2

Send redhat-list mailing list submissions to
	redhat-list redhat com

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
	https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
	redhat-list-request redhat com

You can reach the person managing the list at
	redhat-list-owner redhat com

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
than "Re: Contents of redhat-list digest..."


Today's Topics:

   1. Problem with samba running redhat es4 (Bliss, Aaron)
   2. aide.conf (Bill Tangren)
   3. Re: DVD Ripper (Peter Blajev)
   4. Memory leak with RHEL WS4 (Mike Tilburg)
   5. Re: Memory leak with RHEL WS4 (Mike Zupan)
   6. Trouble when cleaning the "/tmp" directory (Marq)
   7. Re: Trouble when cleaning the "/tmp" directory (Cameron Simpson)
   8. Re: Memory leak with RHEL WS4 (David Tonhofer)
   9. Re: Trouble when cleaning the "/tmp" directory (BERES Laszlo)
  10. Re: Trouble when cleaning the "/tmp" directory (John O'Loughlin)
  11. Re: Trouble when cleaning the "/tmp" directory (Marq)
  12. Re: Memory leak with RHEL WS4 (Waleed Harbi)
  13. Re: Trouble when cleaning the "/tmp" directory (Waleed Harbi)
  14. Re: aide.conf (Chris St. Pierre)
  15. pcsc-lite and ccid (Bill Tangren)
  16. Re: aide.conf (Bill Tangren)


----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 12:30:07 -0400
From: "Bliss, Aaron" <ABliss preferredcare org>
Subject: Problem with samba running redhat es4
To: "General Red Hat Linux discussion list" <redhat-list redhat com>
Message-ID:
	<FFF3441ECA73784EAAAD9B8ABFB0CC2B02EE3B40 ms-win-s21 preferredcare org>
	
Content-Type: text/plain;	charset="us-ascii"

I have 2 redhat es 4 machines setup to use our ad environment for file
sharing; it seems that winbind doesn't like active directory groups that
are of group scope Global; ad groups that are of scopes domain local
work fine (both group types are security groups, not distribution
lists); setting smb shares that allow group members that are in Global
security groups receive a login prompt; is anyone else having this issue
or does anyone know of any work around's?  Thanks very much for your
help.

Aaron

Confidentiality Notice:
The information contained in this electronic message is intended for the exclusive use of the individual or entity named above and may contain privileged or confidential information.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that dissemination, distribution or copying of this information is prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by telephone and destroy the copies you received.




------------------------------

Message: 2
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2006 13:34:07 -0400
From: Bill Tangren <bjt aa usno navy mil>
Subject: aide.conf
To: General Red Hat Linux discussion list <redhat-list redhat com>
Message-ID: <45214D8F 3030102 aa usno navy mil>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed

Would whomever is using AIDE be willing to point out (back channel if you are 
more comfortable with that) which directories to include and which options on 
each directory for RHEL? I've seen several examples, including the one I found 
here (http://www.cs.tut.fi/~rammer/aide/manual.html), but I'd like some input on 
RHEL users on what is best to protect.

Thanks!

Bill Tangren



------------------------------

Message: 3
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 10:35:16 -0700
From: Peter Blajev <pblajev ucsd edu>
Subject: Re: DVD Ripper
To: redhat-list redhat com
Message-ID: <200610021035 16426 pblajev ucsd edu>
Content-Type: text/plain;  charset="iso-8859-1"

You may want to try K3b. It comes with RHEL4. If you are registered with RHN 
this command should do all the work for you:
  up2date k3b

--
Peter

On Sunday 01 October 2006 14:17, Cesar Covarrubias wrote:
> Hello All.
>
>
>
> I was wondering if anyone knew of a dvd ripper that I can easily install on
> my RHEL 4 box.
>
>
>
> Thanks Ahead of time.
>
> Cesar



------------------------------

Message: 4
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 15:52:34 -0700
From: "Mike Tilburg" <mtilburg adobe com>
Subject: Memory leak with RHEL WS4
To: <redhat-list redhat com>
Message-ID:
	<55BAE55B0193F54994544B279BF7BA0C016A028A namail4 corp adobe com>
Content-Type: text/plain;	charset="us-ascii"

Hi-

 

I recently installed RHEL WS4 on my IBM ThinkCentre.  There seems to be
a memory leak from somewhere.  Is this a known issue?  How do I know
where it's coming from.

 

I've been up for about 7 hours and my 1 GB of memory is almost used up.
I'm using 'free' to show the usage, and sure enough, memory just keeps
getting gobbled up.  I didn't start any other applications.

 

I'm looking at top and the System monitor, but that doesn't show
anything taking up that much memory.

 

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated and welcome. 

 

-mike



------------------------------

Message: 5
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 19:18:06 -0400
From: "Mike Zupan" <hijinks gmail com>
Subject: Re: Memory leak with RHEL WS4
To: "General Red Hat Linux discussion list" <redhat-list redhat com>
Message-ID:
	<7227c6c70610021618u4f5d6babk9e3574a2f9164dde mail gmail com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed

when you look at free are you looking at the +/- buffers line.. that line is
your true free RAM

On 10/2/06, Mike Tilburg <mtilburg adobe com> wrote:
>
> Hi-
>
>
>
> I recently installed RHEL WS4 on my IBM ThinkCentre.  There seems to be
> a memory leak from somewhere.  Is this a known issue?  How do I know
> where it's coming from.
>
>
>
> I've been up for about 7 hours and my 1 GB of memory is almost used up.
> I'm using 'free' to show the usage, and sure enough, memory just keeps
> getting gobbled up.  I didn't start any other applications.
>
>
>
> I'm looking at top and the System monitor, but that doesn't show
> anything taking up that much memory.
>
>
>
> Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated and welcome.
>
>
>
> -mike
>
> --
> redhat-list mailing list
> unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request redhat com?subjectunsubscribe
> https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
>


------------------------------

Message: 6
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 10:43:08 +0530
From: Marq <vikramns gmail com>
Subject: Trouble when cleaning the "/tmp" directory
To: "General Red Hat Linux discussion list" <redhat-list redhat com>
Message-ID:
	<9b2897c0610022213m119b2195qda03ed2166afeb69 mail gmail com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed

Hi

I have recently installed Redhat Fedora 5 system
and i have created two ordinary users

yesterday i deleted all the files and directories in the "/tmp" directory

when i reboot my system, the ordinary users were not able to login to GNOME
but from the root user i can go into GNOME

Please tell me what could me the problem

-- 
Thanks and Regards
------------------------------
N S Vikram,
Asso. IT Engr.
CMC LTD,
Chennai.
Mobile : 09444357170


------------------------------

Message: 7
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 18:44:42 +1000
From: Cameron Simpson <cs zip com au>
Subject: Re: Trouble when cleaning the "/tmp" directory
To: General Red Hat Linux discussion list <redhat-list redhat com>
Message-ID: <20061003084442 GA18461 cskk homeip net>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii

On 03Oct2006 10:43, Marq <vikramns gmail com> wrote:
| I have recently installed Redhat Fedora 5 system
| and i have created two ordinary users
| 
| yesterday i deleted all the files and directories in the "/tmp" directory
| 
| when i reboot my system, the ordinary users were not able to login to GNOME
| but from the root user i can go into GNOME

PLease tell us exactly what commands you issued to remove these files
from /tmp.

Also, please report the output of:

        ls -la /tmp/.

I would guess ordinary users can no longer make files in /tmp.

Cheers,
-- 
Cameron Simpson <cs zip com au> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

55 mph is fast enough to get you killed, but slow enough to make you think
you're safe.    - The Gumball Rally



------------------------------

Message: 8
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2006 11:11:22 +0200
From: David Tonhofer <d tonhofer m-plify com>
Subject: Re: Memory leak with RHEL WS4
To: General Red Hat Linux discussion list <redhat-list redhat com>
Message-ID: <4522293A 2020708 m-plify com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed

Mike Zupan wrote:
> when you look at free are you looking at the +/- buffers line.. that 
> line is
> your true free RAM
>
> On 10/2/06, Mike Tilburg <mtilburg adobe com> wrote:


Seconded: http://gentoo-wiki.com/FAQ_Linux_Memory_Management




------------------------------

Message: 9
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2006 11:11:43 +0200
From: BERES Laszlo <beres laszlo sys-admin hu>
Subject: Re: Trouble when cleaning the "/tmp" directory
To: General Red Hat Linux discussion list <redhat-list redhat com>
Message-ID: <4522294F 2030301 sys-admin hu>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8; format=flowed

Marq írta:

> when i reboot my system, the ordinary users were not able to login to GNOME
> but from the root user i can go into GNOME

I had the same issue when I accidentally changed the /tmp dir's 
ownership. Check this!

-- 
BÉRES László	       RHCE
senior IT engineer, trainer



------------------------------

Message: 10
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 10:05:47 +0100 (BST)
From: "John O'Loughlin" <j oloughlin qmul ac uk>
Subject: Re: Trouble when cleaning the "/tmp" directory
To: General Red Hat Linux discussion list <redhat-list redhat com>
Message-ID: <Pine LNX 4 64 0610031004480 14033 dirac maths qmul ac uk>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"


/tmp needs to be 1777

in other words world writables with the sticky bit set

cd /; ls -l so see the permissions, should look like

drwxrwxrwt    7 root root  4096 Oct  3 10:04 tmp


Regards
John

On Tue, 3 Oct 2006, BERES Laszlo wrote:

> Marq írta:
>
>> when i reboot my system, the ordinary users were not able to login to GNOME
>> but from the root user i can go into GNOME
>
> I had the same issue when I accidentally changed the /tmp dir's ownership. 
> Check this!
>
> -- 
> BÉRES László	       RHCE
> senior IT engineer, trainer
>
> -- 
> redhat-list mailing list
> unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request redhat com?subject=unsubscribe
> https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
>

------------------------------

Message: 11
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 15:32:48 +0530
From: Marq <vikramns gmail com>
Subject: Re: Trouble when cleaning the "/tmp" directory
To: "General Red Hat Linux discussion list" <redhat-list redhat com>
Message-ID:
	<9b2897c0610030302n535b6b7fpe7316719fa374b89 mail gmail com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed

Hi

When i tried deleting files in "/tmp" it showed error so i tried deleting
file with the command

su -c 'rm -r /tmp/*'

On 03/10/06, John O'Loughlin <j oloughlin qmul ac uk> wrote:
>
>
> /tmp needs to be 1777
>
> in other words world writables with the sticky bit set
>
> cd /; ls -l so see the permissions, should look like
>
> drwxrwxrwt    7 root root  4096 Oct  3 10:04 tmp
>
>
> Regards
> John
>
> On Tue, 3 Oct 2006, BERES Laszlo wrote:
>
> > Marq írta:
> >
> >> when i reboot my system, the ordinary users were not able to login to
> GNOME
> >> but from the root user i can go into GNOME
> >
> > I had the same issue when I accidentally changed the /tmp dir's
> ownership.
> > Check this!
> >
> > --
> > BÉRES László         RHCE
> > senior IT engineer, trainer
> >
> > --
> > redhat-list mailing list
> > unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request redhat com?subject=unsubscribe
> > https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
> >
>
> --
> redhat-list mailing list
> unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request redhat com?subject=unsubscribe
> https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
>
>


-- 
Thanks and Regards
------------------------------
N S Vikram,
Asso. IT Engr.
CMC LTD,
Chennai.
Mobile : 09444357170


------------------------------

Message: 12
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 16:39:48 +0300
From: "Waleed Harbi" <waleed harbi gmail com>
Subject: Re: Memory leak with RHEL WS4
To: "General Red Hat Linux discussion list" <redhat-list redhat com>
Message-ID:
	<cc4756450610030639k6157842eu90315b7ac9a389e6 mail gmail com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed

Mike,

try run memtest86 command then it will create image in the grub, try reboot
the machine and choose from the grub menu memtest86
it will test your memory, below you will fine some links explain to you how
memtest86 it works:

http://www.laptoprepairguy.com/laptop/2006/01/20/laptop-desktop-memory-test/
http://dynamicnetservices.com/~will/badram/
http://www.memtest86.com/


On 10/3/06, David Tonhofer <d tonhofer m-plify com> wrote:
>
> Mike Zupan wrote:
> > when you look at free are you looking at the +/- buffers line.. that
> > line is
> > your true free RAM
> >
> > On 10/2/06, Mike Tilburg <mtilburg adobe com> wrote:
>
>
> Seconded: http://gentoo-wiki.com/FAQ_Linux_Memory_Management
>
>
> --
> redhat-list mailing list
> unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request redhat com?subject=unsubscribe
> https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
>



-- 
:. Best Wishes
:. Waleed Harbi
---------------------------------------------
Open Source Open Education
Saudi Arabia


------------------------------

Message: 13
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 16:55:18 +0300
From: "Waleed Harbi" <waleed harbi gmail com>
Subject: Re: Trouble when cleaning the "/tmp" directory
To: "General Red Hat Linux discussion list" <redhat-list redhat com>
Message-ID:
	<cc4756450610030655k765c104anfbdaeffdfacdfab0 mail gmail com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed

Could you please tell us what is the message user saw?
try Alt + F3 then log in through the user faced this issue, can the user log
in?
to go back for GUI run Alt + F7


On 10/3/06, Marq <vikramns gmail com> wrote:
>
> Hi
>
> When i tried deleting files in "/tmp" it showed error so i tried deleting
> file with the command
>
> su -c 'rm -r /tmp/*'
>
> On 03/10/06, John O'Loughlin <j oloughlin qmul ac uk> wrote:
> >
> >
> > /tmp needs to be 1777
> >
> > in other words world writables with the sticky bit set
> >
> > cd /; ls -l so see the permissions, should look like
> >
> > drwxrwxrwt    7 root root  4096 Oct  3 10:04 tmp
> >
> >
> > Regards
> > John
> >
> > On Tue, 3 Oct 2006, BERES Laszlo wrote:
> >
> > > Marq írta:
> > >
> > >> when i reboot my system, the ordinary users were not able to login to
> > GNOME
> > >> but from the root user i can go into GNOME
> > >
> > > I had the same issue when I accidentally changed the /tmp dir's
> > ownership.
> > > Check this!
> > >
> > > --
> > > BÉRES László         RHCE
> > > senior IT engineer, trainer
> > >
> > > --
> > > redhat-list mailing list
> > > unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request redhat com?subject=unsubscribe
> > > https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
> > >
> >
> > --
> > redhat-list mailing list
> > unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request redhat com?subject=unsubscribe
> > https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
> >
> >
>
>
> --
> Thanks and Regards
> ------------------------------
> N S Vikram,
> Asso. IT Engr.
> CMC LTD,
> Chennai.
> Mobile : 09444357170
> --
> redhat-list mailing list
> unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request redhat com?subjectunsubscribe
> https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
>



-- 
:. Best Wishes
:. Waleed Harbi
---------------------------------------------
Open Source Open Education
Saudi Arabia


------------------------------

Message: 14
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 09:22:27 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Chris St. Pierre" <stpierre NebrWesleyan edu>
Subject: Re: aide.conf
To: General Red Hat Linux discussion list <redhat-list redhat com>
Message-ID:
	<Pine LNX 4 63 0610030918040 17524 zaphod NebrWesleyan edu>
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII

Bill--

IANAAE (I Am Not An Aide Expert :), but here's one of my AIDE configs
for a Postfix server we have:

most=p+i+n+u+g+s+md5

/sbin most
/bin most
/lib most
/boot most
/usr most
/opt most
/etc most
!/**~
!/**.cfsaved
!/etc/ld.so.cache$
!/etc/printcap$
!/etc/lvm/.cache$
!/etc/mtab$
!/etc/aide$
!/etc/cups$
!/etc/nagios/*
!/etc/postfix/prng_exch
!/usr/share$
!/etc/prelink.cache$
!/etc/ssh/ssh_known_hosts$
!/usr/local/var$
!/usr/local/maint$
!/etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf$

I'm not sure how *good* that config is; generally, I don't get too
many changes to my db, but we've also never had an intrusion (that I
know of :), so I'm not sure if this would alert me or not.

HTH.

Chris St. Pierre
Unix Systems Administrator
Nebraska Wesleyan University

On Mon, 2 Oct 2006, Bill Tangren wrote:

> Would whomever is using AIDE be willing to point out (back channel if you are
> more comfortable with that) which directories to include and which options on
> each directory for RHEL? I've seen several examples, including the one I found
> here (http://www.cs.tut.fi/~rammer/aide/manual.html), but I'd like some input
> on RHEL users on what is best to protect.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Bill Tangren
>
> -- 
> redhat-list mailing list
> unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request redhat com?subject=unsubscribe
> https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
>
>



------------------------------

Message: 15
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2006 10:31:38 -0400
From: Bill Tangren <bjt aa usno navy mil>
Subject: pcsc-lite and ccid
To: General Red Hat Linux discussion list <redhat-list redhat com>
Message-ID: <4522744A 5040208 aa usno navy mil>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed

pcsc-lite and ccid are two packages that are available in fedora core 5 (extras) 
that I'd like to know if anyone has found (in source or otherwise) and been able 
to get them to work in RHEL ES4. I need them to be able to use usb activecard 
gold readers. I have been unable to obtain most of the fedora rpms. I have 
downloaded the source, but I've been unable to to get them to compile and install.

Does anyone have any experience with pcsc-lite and ccid?

Thanks!

Bill Tangren



------------------------------

Message: 16
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2006 10:32:36 -0400
From: Bill Tangren <bjt aa usno navy mil>
Subject: Re: aide.conf
To: General Red Hat Linux discussion list <redhat-list redhat com>
Message-ID: <45227484 5010901 aa usno navy mil>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed

Chris St. Pierre wrote:
> Bill--
> 
> IANAAE (I Am Not An Aide Expert :), but here's one of my AIDE configs
> for a Postfix server we have:
> 
> most=p+i+n+u+g+s+md5
> 
> /sbin most
> /bin most
> /lib most
> /boot most
> /usr most
> /opt most
> /etc most
> !/**~
> !/**.cfsaved
> !/etc/ld.so.cache$
> !/etc/printcap$
> !/etc/lvm/.cache$
> !/etc/mtab$
> !/etc/aide$
> !/etc/cups$
> !/etc/nagios/*
> !/etc/postfix/prng_exch
> !/usr/share$
> !/etc/prelink.cache$
> !/etc/ssh/ssh_known_hosts$
> !/usr/local/var$
> !/usr/local/maint$
> !/etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf$
> 
> I'm not sure how *good* that config is; generally, I don't get too
> many changes to my db, but we've also never had an intrusion (that I
> know of :), so I'm not sure if this would alert me or not.
> 
> HTH.
> 
> Chris St. Pierre
> Unix Systems Administrator
> Nebraska Wesleyan University

Thanks!

> 
> On Mon, 2 Oct 2006, Bill Tangren wrote:
> 
>> Would whomever is using AIDE be willing to point out (back channel if you are
>> more comfortable with that) which directories to include and which options on
>> each directory for RHEL? I've seen several examples, including the one I found
>> here (http://www.cs.tut.fi/~rammer/aide/manual.html), but I'd like some input
>> on RHEL users on what is best to protect.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Bill Tangren
>>
>> -- 
>> redhat-list mailing list
>> unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request redhat com?subject=unsubscribe
>> https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
>>
>>
> 





------------------------------

__
redhat-list mailing list
Unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request redhat com?subject=unsubscribe
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list

End of redhat-list Digest, Vol 32, Issue 2
******************************************

--
First Albany is required by regulation to review and retain both outgoing and incoming electronic correspondence.  First Albany may be required to produce e-mail records to regulatory authorities or others with legal rights to the information.  E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure, timely or error-free.
The information in this email may be confidential and/or legally privileged.  It is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this email by anyone other than the addressee is unauthorized. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and destroy any copies of this message and any attachments.  Any unauthorized use or dissemination or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful. This communication is neither an offer to sell nor a solicitation of an offer to buy any security or other investment product.




[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]