RHEL3U8 can't produce a core.

I am having some WebSphere problems and IBM keeps asking for a core.
Try as I might, I can't seem to get my servers to produce one.  I have
gone through RedHat's docs, specifically:
http://kbase.redhat.com/faq/FAQ_80_7935.shtm
And try as I might no core.  My current method of trying to force a core
consists of:

Vi somefile

>From another terminal get pid of vi and then kill -11 somefilepid.  It
gives me a Segmentation Fault, but no core.

If anybody has a method to get my server to produce a core I would
appreciate knowing about it.  Thanks.

Regards, Marshall