Out of Memory Errors

I'm getting out of memory errors when running Rman backups on Oracle 10.2.0.2.0 and 32 bit Redhat AS 4.4. This only happen when trying to run the backups. The rest of the time the system runs fine.

I have 16G of RAM and two dual core Xeon processors in a Dell 2950. Normally meminfo shows about 11G to 12G of cache and Committd_AS runs between 4G and 5G. there should be plenty of memory to free up for the backups but for some reason when running RMAN this doesn't happen.

Anyone have any ideas where to start looking?

--
Stephen Carville <stephen totalflood com>
Unix and Network Admin