delay after ssh'ing into a server

Stephen Carville stephen at totalflood.com
Fri Oct 6 18:51:07 UTC 2006

Bill Tangren wrote:
> Stephen Carville wrote:
>> Bill Tangren wrote:

>>> [root at eunomia ~]# ssh -vv bjt at aa
>>> OpenSSH_3.9p1, OpenSSL 0.9.7a Feb 19 2003
>>> debug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh/ssh_config
>>> debug1: Applying options for *
>>> debug2: ssh_connect: needpriv 0
>>> debug1: Connecting to aa [10.1.5.93] port 22.
>>> debug1: Connection established.
>>> debug1: permanently_set_uid: 0/0
>>> debug1: identity file /root/.ssh/identity type -1
>>> debug1: identity file /root/.ssh/id_rsa type -1
>>> debug1: identity file /root/.ssh/id_dsa type -1
>>>
>>> Then the 30 second pause... then
>>
>> Still looks like name resolution problem.  Just for S&G try putting
>> yoru machine and IP address in /etc/hosts and make sure yout host line
>> in nsswitch.conf includes files.  AKA:
>>
>> hosts:    files dns
>>

> I already had "hosts:    files dns" in /etc/nsswitch.conf, and I added
>
> 10.1.5.154    eunomia.usno.navy.mil    eunomia
>
> to /etc/hosts. I then restarted network just to make sure the hosts file
> was reread. No change. There is still a 30 second delay.

I'm about out of ideas.  Do you have access to the server?  If so you
can run increase the LogLevel temporarily to DEBUG3 (lots of stuff
dumped to logs so don't leave it that way).  Or you can shut down the
regular sshd and start one of Debug mode (-D).  From your domain name I
suspect the above might be out of the question :-)

For details see
man sshd
man sshd_config

--