problems with putty

Hi all
This might be something obvious, but I'm trying to use windows putty to connect to RHEL 4 system (kernel 2.6.9-34), I can ping the system, but the problem I am having is on trying to log in as root, or a user I keep getting Access denied, I have modified the sshd_config to allow remote logins, is there any other setting I should change to allow this ?

Thanks in advance
Pat Rice