OT: Apache Webpage authentication via MS AD

Sorry if it's OT, but there is too much skill here not to ask.

I want to secure a webpage running on an Apache 1.3.  I want to use MS
active directory for authentication.  The AD is managed by an outsourcer
so I cannot change anything on that side.  I have looked at several
Google results, but I have not seen one that jumps up and says that's
the one.

If anybody is currently doing this, I would be very interested in
hearing how it was accomplished.

Regards, Marshall