Problems with samba on RHEL4 (was ok on RHEL3)

Shane Presley shane.presley at gmail.com
Tue Oct 24 02:02:23 UTC 2006

I have a RHEL3 system running samba-3.0.9-1.3E.10.  Samba is used to
access a bunch of NFS shares.  Authentication is done via openldap to
Active Directory (no winbind).

It works fine, been running stable for a year.

I built a new RHEL4 system, which comes with samba-3.0.10-1.4E.9.  The
configuration files for samba are identical (I copied over smb.conf,
etc).  As for NFS, the only change I had to make to auto.misc has to
add the udp option, since I guess it wanted to default to TCP, which
my firewall didn't like.

Anyway, on the new RHEL4 system, samba hangs when accessing some
files.  Windows XP clients can access a certain share through the old
RHEL3 system fine, but accessing the same share through RHEL4 produces
long system hangs when they try to open or add a file.

Looking through the logs, the only thing I can see
(/var/log/samba/clientIP.log) is sometimes this:
auth/auth_util.c:make_server_info_info3(1177)
  make_server_info_info3: pdb_init_sam failed!

But I occasionally saw those on the RHEL3 samba logs too?

Thanks
Shane