Warning: Remote Host Identification

A.Fadyushin at it-centre.ru A.Fadyushin at it-centre.ru
Tue Oct 31 14:31:30 UTC 2006

This means that the SSH server key which is kept on the server in one of
the SSH configuration files has changed since the last time you accessed
that server via SSH - i.e. somebody reinstalled SSH on the server or
regenerated its key. It is hard to imagine the hacker who will change
the server key on the hacked computer because this will lead to faster
detection of attack.

In the other case it may be possible that you are actually connected not
to the server you expected to connect to. It means that the host name
abc.xyz.com is no longer point to the same computer as at the last time
you accessed it. This may be due to changes in DNS or routing
configuration. Generally, you should not enter your password to login
into the server until you are absolutely sure that the changes which
lead to connecting to the other computer instead of expected one are
legitimate and not caused by hacked DNS or routing tables. If you are
redirected to another computer as a result of a hacker's attack and
enter the SSH password it could be retained by the hacker and later used
by him to login into your server.

Alexey B. Fadyushin
Brainbench MVP for Linux
http://www.brainbench.com