cron.allow and cron.deny

Clark, Patricia Clarkp at osti.gov
Wed Sep 13 20:27:52 UTC 2006

Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 12:35:33 -0400
From: Bill Tangren <bjt at aa.usno.navy.mil>
Subject: cron.allow and cron.deny
To: General Red Hat Linux discussion list <redhat-list at redhat.com>

I am required to limit access to the cron daemon using these two files.
My question is, which system accounts need access to cron, other than
root?

Thanks!

Bill Tangren

Just to follow up since the replies were all over the map:

1)  root is the only system account that needs cron permissions.
2)  All user accounts have crontab privileges unless one of the 2 files
mentioned above exist.  I prefer the cron.allow approach which
implements a deny all unless you are listed in this file.  The man page
on crontab(1) describes how to use these files.

Patti Clark
Unix System Administrator - RHCT
Office of Scientific and Technical Information