can not create groupnames or usernames with Upper and lower characters to-gether(Ex: XXXggg)

Manuel Arostegui Ramirez manuel at todo-linux.com
Sun Sep 3 10:13:32 UTC 2006

El Domingo, 3 de Septiembre de 2006 12:08, Padiyath Sreekumaran escribió:
>   Hello,
>
>   Iam OS RedHat 3.0. When I run the following command from root account
> I get the
>
>   error:
>

> l_kumar]$ /usr/sbin/groupadd -g 999888 XXXggg
>
> groupadd: XXXggg is a not a valid group name

[root at Arbusto ~]# groupadd -g 999888 XXXggg
[root at Arbusto ~]# cat /etc/group | grep X
XXXggg:x:999888:

>From the man:
 Groupnames must begin with a lower case letter or an underscore, and
       only lower case letters, underscores, dashes, and dollar signs may
       follow. In regular expression terms: [a-z_][a-z0-9_-]*[$]

--
Manuel Arostegui Ramirez.

be used for urgent or sensitive issues.