utmp problems

Allen, Jack Jack.Allen at McKesson.com
Tue Sep 5 22:32:01 UTC 2006

        Has anyone else seen utmp corruption running AS 4.0 with all the
latest up2dates? That is there are multiple entries for the same ID
(pts/*). When there are duplicates, most have a status of DEAD, but per
the documentation, there should only be one entry with the appropriate
status. Sometimes I have seen where it looks like the user never logged
out, but I know for sure another user is using the pts/*. We have an
application that uses logname command and it returns the wrong login
name then. The application also uses the getlogin() function and it
fails the same way. This leads me to believe the logname command uses
the getlogin() function also.

        Through my searching I can find mention of problems when some
old version of xterm was run that did not use the same utmp structure.
This would seem to cause just plain old corruption, because the
structures were not the same size. The problem I am having, acts like a
file update issue or locking and or not locking as needed.

Thanks:
        Jack Allen