data transfer over 100Mbps

Aterea Brown aterea.brown at aut.ac.nz
Wed Sep 6 20:59:26 UTC 2006

Purely theoretical....number will be off due to network congestion
etc...but..

100Mb/s = 12.5 MB/s
400GB = 400000 MB (roughly)
Say your transfer rate is sustained at 10MB/s
400000/10 = 40000s
so roughly 12 hours.

This is just a real rough estimate and will be subject to network
activity, drive speeds and all that jazz.
I dont know how using rsync would compare to straight ftp or even
straight nfs.
But I think your best bet is to arrange a suitable test set of files of
a significant size
time that and extrapolate it.
e.g.  Time to tranfer 10GB is say 15min.  Then a reasonable estimate
time to transfer 400GB would be 40 times that or 600min, 10 hours.

-art

>>> lists at brimer.org 09/07/06 3:16 AM >>>
> I am trying to come up with the  estimate to transfer 400GB oracle
> database over network (100Mbps) to another server. Any idea how much
> time it will take ,and any utilities  which can do it faster than ftp?

Netcat which is probably installed on your machine already as "nc"