RE Downgrade packages in Redhat Enterprise ES 4

pierre_stephane.baton at alcatelaleniaspace.com pierre_stephane.baton at alcatelaleniaspace.com
Tue Sep 12 10:21:27 UTC 2006

up2date can be configured to skip packages update. You just have to add
something like this :

removeSkipList[comment]=A list of package names, optionally including
wildcards that up2date will not remove
removeSkipList=kernel*;

in your /etc/sysconfig/rhn/up2date.

It can be configured by the GUI of up2date as it should me mentioned in
the file :

# Automatically generated Red Hat Update Agent config file, do not edit.
# Format: 1.0

the differents packages for mysql:

[root at sdmlx03 ~]# rpm -qa | grep mysql
mysqlclient10-3.23.58-4.RHEL4.1
mysql-4.1.20-1.RHEL4.1
mysqlclient10-devel-3.23.58-4.RHEL4.1
mod_auth_mysql-2.6.1-2.2
mysqlclient10-3.23.58-4.RHEL4.1
libdbi-dbd-mysql-0.6.5-10.RHEL4.1
mysql-server-4.1.20-1.RHEL4.1
mysql-devel-4.1.20-1.RHEL4.1
mysql-4.1.20-1.RHEL4.1
mysql-bench-4.1.20-1.RHEL4.1
php-mysql-4.3.9-3.15

To find old rpm's of mysql 4.0, I don't think you'll find it in RHEL
official releases as you can see on www.distrowatch.com :

Package         RHEL5(beta1)    RHEL4           RHEL3           RHEL2.1
mysql (5.0.24a) 5.0.22          4.1.7           3.23.58 3.23.41

If you find a rpm, don't forget to make sure it won't be installed inthe
same directory of your running copy of 4.1(don't forget /etc/my.cnf)...
or....

Perhaps it should be a good idea to download the sources and make it,
installing it in a new location.

Good luck ;-)
________________________________
Pierre-Stéphane BATON
DI - OI/IT
Consultant Trasys-OSI
Support informatique Unix/Linux
E01-H14-L44 - Tel :+32 (0)71 442797

Alcatel Alenia Space ETCA (DI/SYS)
Rue Chapelle BEAUSSART, 101
B-6032  Mont-sur-Marchienne

Adrian Chow <achow at uwcsea.edu.sg>
Envoyé par : redhat-list-bounces at redhat.com
12/09/2006 12:10
Veuillez répondre à
General Red Hat Linux discussion list <redhat-list at redhat.com>

redhat-list at redhat.com
cc

Objet
Downgrade packages in Redhat Enterprise ES 4

Hi,

I have Redhat Enterprise ES 4. It is currently very updated at update 4.

However I might need to run MySQL 4.0 which is expiring at 30th Sept 2006.
 Currently it is running MySQL 4.1.

I have gone to the Redhat Network but could not find MySQL 4.0 packages
under the ES4.  Is it still available for download?  There are only MySQL
4.1 packages.  If I go to ES3, it will not have 4.0 packages.  ES3 has
MYSQL 3.2.3 packages.

Also I would need some help to configure up2date so that it does not
auto-update the mysql package when I patch up the server.  Any help?

Thanks.

adrian

CONFIDENTIALITY CAUTION: This message is intended only for the use of the
individual or entity to whom it is addressed and contains information that
is privileged and confidential.  If you, the reader of this message, are
not the intended recipient, you should not disseminate, distribute or copy
this communication.  If you have received this communication in error,
please notify us immediately by return email and delete the original
message.  Unless it relates to the official business of UWCSEA, any
opinions or matters expressed in this message are those of the individual
sender.  Thank you.