How to clean up root partition?

Jeff Boyce jboyce at meridianenv.com
Tue Sep 12 16:45:39 UTC 2006

Greetings -

I have a Dell PE2600 running RHEL3 fully up to date.  I noticed recently
after performing some software updates that my root partition is getting
full (83% used, see below).  I am a novice linux system administrator and am
wondering what commands could be used to identify the files are located just
on this partition, and more specifically trying to identify orphaned
files/programs that are no longer being used that can be removed to free up
some space?  I recently updated Dell's OMSA software from 4.5 to 5.0 and
suspect that some of the 4.5 files have been left on the system due to a
failure in part of the update process.  I also have my up2date system set to
enable rollbacks, and have retained several of the previous kernel versions
on my system following updates.  If these types of things are filling that
partition, I would like suggestions on how safely remove them or clean up
the partition.  Thanks.
------------------ Disk Space --------------------
/dev/sda7             2.0G  1.6G  327M  83% /
/dev/sda3             190M   32M  149M  18% /boot
none                  501M     0  501M   0% /dev/shm
/dev/sda8            1012M   33M  928M   4% /tmp
/dev/sda5             9.7G  2.7G  6.5G  29% /usr
/dev/sda6             9.7G  1.9G  7.3G  21% /var
/dev/sda2             2.5G  1.5G  916M  62% /home
/dev/sda10             40G   17G   22G  44% /ecosystem

Jeff Boyce
www.meridianenv.com