GPFS (not GFS)

Brent Franks brentasterisk at gmail.com
Wed Sep 13 04:01:23 UTC 2006

On 9/12/06, Dag Wieers <dag at wieers.com> wrote:
> I think you can download the relevant packages online and use it for trial
> purposes without needing a sales contact. At least that was possible for a
> while (not sure if they changed their policy again), I haven't looked at
> it since I switched positions.
>
> Did you look at their download site ?

Hi Dag,

Thanks for the follow up.  Yes, after an extensive search we finally
found it.  It was packaged under the IBM (Cluster Server Manager)
trial-ware.

Once we found it, it brought up other interseting questions we haven't
fully answered yet.  It seems we were able to get the RPM's installed,
but all the docs point to GPFS (And CSM for that matter) are only able
to run on IBM servers.

I could understand if it was just IBM AIX or Power architecture,
however the x series would seem to imply that CSM and GPFS would run
on any Intel i386 platform.

Am I mistaken here?  Is there some sort of hardware abstraction layer
that CSM or GPFS checks prior to working in production?

Thanks

- Brent