uh-oh: version `GCC_4.2.0' not found

dave first linux4dave at gmail.com
Wed Sep 13 14:53:52 UTC 2006

Folks, this one has me stumped, and I could use your help figuring this out.

I was running kernel and libs at,

Linux 2.6.9-34.0.2.EL

And after updating the kernel and libs, and a reboot for good measure, we're
at,

Linux 2.6.9-42.0.2.EL

But, now I've got some some conflicts.  I cannot run httpd, or a konsole
window, much less gnome or kde without incurring an error similar to this
(the libs change, depending on what's being called):

    Cannot load /etc/httpd/modules/libphp4.so into server:
/usr/lib/nsr/libgcc_s.so.1:
    version `GCC_4.2.0' not found (required by /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6)

Note the path to the lib:  /usr/lib/nsr  These libraries belong to EMC/Legato
Networker backup client application software.  Note the libs at the end of
the list which are related to the old GLIB or GCC.  I don't understand why
these are somehow in the system lib path, or --- what?

# rpm -qf /usr/lib/nsr/libgcc_s.so.1
lgtoclnt-7.3-1

# rpm -qR lgtoclnt-7.3-1
rpmlib(PayloadFilesHavePrefix) <= 4.0-1
rpmlib(CompressedFileNames) <= 3.0.4-1
ld-linux.so.2
libICE.so.6
libSM.so.6
libX11.so.6
libXext.so.6
libXmu.so.6
libXt.so.6
libc.so.6
libdl.so.2
libgcc_s.so.1
libncurses.so.5
libpthread.so.0
libqt-mt.so.3
librt.so.1
libstdc++.so.5
libGL.so.1
libXi.so.6
libXrender.so.1
libm.so.6
/bin/ksh
/bin/sh
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.0)
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.1)
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.1.2)
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.1.3)
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.2)
libdl.so.2(GLIBC_2.0)
libdl.so.2(GLIBC_2.1)
libgcc_s.so.1(GCC_3.0)
libgcc_s.so.1(GCC_3.3)
libgcc_s.so.1(GLIBC_2.0)
libm.so.6(GLIBC_2.0)
libm.so.6(GLIBC_2.1)
libm.so.6(GLIBC_2.2)
libpthread.so.0(GLIBC_2.0)
libpthread.so.0(GLIBC_2.1)
libpthread.so.0(GLIBC_2.2)

Okay, so I cannot run a lot of things, and some things I can (xterm is
okay).  No LD_LIBRARY_PATH is set by default, but even if I set one, and
exclude /usr/nsr/lib, it doesn't matter.  Same problem.

Okay, I admit it.  I'm stumped.  Ideas anyone????

TIA,
dave