comps.xml, kickstart & yum repository

RR ranjtech at gmail.com
Thu Sep 14 06:27:21 UTC 2006

Hello all,

just a quick question. If I specify/list each package I want to
install on my machine in the kickstart.cfg file, then do I need to
even worry about the intricacies of how a yum repository is built in
particular the comps.xml file? My thought is that if I list
specifically each rpm I want installed, then do i need a comps.xml fie
or in fact anything in the "base" directory?

Basically what I have is an exact structure of a yum repo But only
about 300-400 pkgs and from what I believe, it includes all packages I
need + their dependancies. NOTE, there are NO custom rpms being used.

In this scenario, do I need to worry about modifying the comps.xml
file to reflect the lack of the missing packages for me to able to
build systems using kickstart + allow the existing systems to update
themselves with "yum update" from this repository?

Any help and/or hints and pointers would be greatly appreciated.