What will be the version of RHEL5 kernel?

Aleksandar Milivojevic alex at milivojevic.org
Thu Sep 14 16:34:44 UTC 2006

Quoting Yogi pn <yougander at gmail.com>:

> What are the major changes b/w RHEL4 and RHEL5?

The best thing would be to download beta, install it on some test
machine(s) and play with it, see how it works for you.  I'm mostly
interested in "server" changes.  Somebody else might be more
interested in "workstation" changes.

I've installed only minimalistic text-only server-type test machine.

Some things I noticed so far:

Anaconda has improved error handling.  It will catch some error
conditions and report sensible errors, instead of crashing with
cryptic traceback.  I was able to find one ommision in this new error
checking code using my default kickstart file on my very first
installation attempt.  I guess it might be good idea for people using
custom hand-built kickstart files to download beta, test out if
installation works and complain before final is out (that's what the
beta is for after all).  So their kickstarts are not going to fail
when RHEL5 gets "production ready" stamp.

Removable media is handled differently.  There's no more fstab-sync
and updating of /etc/fstab file.  Likewise, mount points under /media
don't seem to be static like in the RHEL4.  Instead gnome-mount is
used (for both text and graphical interfaces).

Packages are mostly bumped to latest or almost-latest versions.  I
guess server people will mostly be interested in these:

Kernel 2.6.17 (which I still hope isn't too late to bump to 2.6.18 for
beta2/final)
PHP 5.1.3
MySQL 5.0.22
Cyrus-IMAPD 2.3.7 (this version shouldn't require separate frontend
and backend servers for Cyrus Murder (cluster) configuration)
Apache 2.2.3
OpenSSL 0.9.8b
OpenLDAP 2.3.24 (2.2.x from RHEL4 is already totally unsupported
upstream, syncrepl should be production ready in this version I guess)
xorg-x11 7.1
GCC 4.1.1

And the list goes on and on.

Other than that, it still looks preatty much like standard RHEL under
the hood.  At least for the server stuff.

--
NOTICE: If you are not intended recipient, you are hereby notified
that by reading this message you agreed not to disturb frogs during