HA: What will be the version of RHEL5 kernel?

Aleksandar Milivojevic alex at milivojevic.org
Fri Sep 15 15:10:46 UTC 2006

Quoting Avramenko Andrey <AAvramenko at HQ.R-Style.ru>:

> I heared information that there will be integrated Xen in RHEL5. Is it so?

I've took one more look at test install I have at work.  There is
kernel-xen package, and userland stuff in xen package.  However, they
are in separate directory on install CD from the rest of the system
(you'll find them in VT directory).  Strangely, kernel-xen-devel,
xen-libs and xen-devel are part of main install tree.

Also, kernel-smp package is removed.  The default kernel is now SMP
enabled.  I'd guess people with single processors will complain for
not having a kernel "optimized" for single processor machines anymore.
  However, I'd also guess performance difference between uni-processor
and SMP kernel is small enough in recent kernels that it doesn't
warrant for separate kernel packages anymore.  As I said to Melman
about his new brown spot, "it's all in your head".

Other than default kernel and kernel-xen, there's also kernel-PAE for
PAE capable CPUs which supports up to 64GB of memory (the default
kernel is limited to 4GB).

--
NOTICE: If you are not intended recipient, you are hereby notified
that by reading this message you agreed not to disturb frogs during