Magic stuff

darrel barton darrel at lantera.com
Tue Sep 26 18:04:40 UTC 2006

My Magic file (/usr/share/magic) informs me that the magic.mgc file is
# Magic data for file(1) command.
# Machine-generated from src/cmd/file/magdir/*; edit there only!

Yet the src/cmd/magdir doesn't exist on my distribution.

1) Can anyone tell me where to go?  (lol -- yeah, I know)
2) Does anyone recall anyone in history EVER having a problem with the
simple text-based "magic' file that UNIX used to have?
3) Yes, I know I can rename the magic.mgc file to another name which forces
'file' to use the text version, but then it clutters up my std error with a
message. ( Someone, I think ... is just over-tinkering with this whole
project.)