/dev/audio

A.Fadyushin at it-centre.ru A.Fadyushin at it-centre.ru
Thu Sep 28 13:26:10 UTC 2006

An ownership on /dev/audio and similar device files changes at the time
when someone logs in on the console. The user who logged in from console
becomes the owner of those files. The change of owhership is performed
using PAM - files in /etc/pam.d usually contain lines like
session    optional     /lib/security/pam_console.so
for that purpose.
The list of device files which should change owner upon user login from
console is controlled by the list of "console device classes" in
/etc/security/console.perms
If you need to permanently have root as the owner of /dev/audio, you
should remove /dev/audio from the list of console devices.

Alexey Fadyushin
Brainbench MVP for Linux
http://www.brainbench.com