RHCE and other certs?

katsumi liquer katsumi at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 21:03:10 UTC 2007

To Evan,

I was in a very similar position to you as I graduated with a CS
degree in 2003 and had a similar time of taking admin and dev jobs
while I was completing my degree. For whatever it is worth, I don't
have any certifications yet.

I have found that what I learned from CS has been in fact very useful,
more than I ever imagined it would be at the time, if for nothing else
than that it helps to understand the nature of problems when you run
in to them, and also about how systems and software are actually
operating. The issues of bytecode, and kernel scheduling, bandwidth
and protocols, etc, for example were somewhat vague to me before
school.

Apart from that, the second most useful thing has simply been
patience, diligence and self resourcefulness. I have seen many people
go AWOL in trouble situations and make things worse where slowing down
and taking a clear view of the situation can work miracles.

It has already been hinted at, but I question the value of
certifications in this day and age where implementation specific
changes happen fairly rapidly, and in order to stay current with your
certs you'd have to be studying at least as much as you are working.
Stay in the thick of it on your own, have a sandbox environment, keep
track of you work and stay calm. If you are in over your head, you may
need to find some help, but that can happen at any time no matter how
prepared you are -- but experience is a good teacher.

Ultimately I think it boils down to how confident you are in your
ability to find information on your own, and experiment. If you are
down with that, you can do anything -- good luck by the way :)

katsu