Root shell with logging

Krishnaprasad_K at Dell.com Krishnaprasad_K at Dell.com
Wed Apr 25 08:09:37 UTC 2007

Hi,

	There is a variable called HISTFILE and by default it will be
assigned as /root/.bash_history

	You can change the variable value to something else so that u
can store the entire commands history to that particular file. You can
set HISTFILE variable name in /etc/profile.

	Hope this helps!!

Regards,
Krishnaprasad

-----Original Message-----
From: redhat-list-bounces at redhat.com
[mailto:redhat-list-bounces at redhat.com] On Behalf Of
oliver.fenker at bayerbbs.com
Sent: Wednesday, April 25, 2007 12:13 PM
To: redhat-list at redhat.com
Subject: Root shell with logging

Hi all,

due to security contraints I am looking for a shell that logs all
commands
that are invoked by the user, in particular if the user has become root.
found two (non-RedHat) approaches: sudosh and rootsh. Sudosh seems to be
pretty good tool, unfortunately it logs also passwords in clear-text
format. Rootsh not only logs keystrokes but also all the output to
syslogd
and fills up our log files . So, both tools are not suitable for us. At
the moment we just copy the .bash_history file if a user logs out. But
this is not absolutely reliable.

Are there any other approaches? Could someone please point me to a
usable
solution for this issue?

Thanks,
Oliver Fenker