Increasing the maximum length of the argument list.

Glenn Meyer grmeyer at mail.arc.nasa.gov
Mon Apr 2 17:51:15 UTC 2007

inode0 wrote:

> Better is subjective, I'm not sure what you are looking for. Possibly
> a list more in line with the subject matter would be better, maybe the
> gnu emacs list?
Just a box on the archives page that allows me to search the archives,
although I know there's more behind it than that. To me the length of
the arguments list looks like an OS issue, not an emacs issue. For
instance, UNIX allows you to increase the maximum. Does Linux? But I'll
try searching the emacs lists.

>> Third, and the reason I joined this list, is there any way to increase
>> the limit on the size of the argument list. I need an especially long
>> list for etags, and the program doesn't create a correct TAGS file when
>> I pipe the files list through xargs, at least, not one that emacs can
>> handle.
>
> Piping the filenames into etags on stdin is the usual way around this
> problem I think.
Thanks for the help!

Glenn