Maintaining Ownership When Copying Files and Directories

Sean McGlynn sean_mcglynn at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 3 13:36:18 UTC 2007

Hello,

On a RHEL4 server I have mounted a directory from another RHEL4 server.  I want to copy the files from the mounted directory, maintaining ownership and permissions.  When I attempt to do a copy as root I get a permission denied message.  When I do a cp -r --preserve=all as a user who is a member of a group who has rights to the directory I am able to do the copy, the permissions are maintained, but the ownership is not.  This makes sense as the man page for cp say you need to be root to change ownership.  So how can I make this happen if I can't do it as root?  The group is maintained in eDirectory, so I can't add root to the group.

Thank you.