Soliciting Opinions Regarding File Systems

Sean McGlynn sean_mcglynn at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 6 14:28:38 UTC 2007

Hello,

We are considering what file system to use for an enterprise deployment of Linux.  We're reviewing EXT3, Reiser, XFS, and JFS.  The server will deal with a fair number of relatively large (GB+) files, and a good amount of relatively intermediate size (100-999 MB) files.  XFS and JFS appear to do best with intermediate and large files, and fairly well with smaller files.  Reiser does better with smaller files, and EXT3 has the distinction of being the default file system for Red Hat.  We feel XFS is likely the best choice, but wonder if there are any caveats, considerations, etc.  We will be taking advantage of LVM, if that has any bearing.

Thank you.