Failing Disk

George Magklaras georgios at biotek.uio.no
Wed Apr 11 10:15:39 UTC 2007

Hi Troy,

There are various disk rescue utilities (free and commercial). What I
normally tend to do is to have a rescue CD/DVD with the dd_rescue
utility in the list of programs:

http://www.garloff.de/kurt/linux/ddrescue/

So, I boot the system from the DVD and having both drives connected (the
  failing one and the new one) I dd_rescue the failing device to the new
device. (The dd_rescue utility is like dd, but it persists during failed
block reads, so you need something like that when your disk is failing,
or if you can afford it, since you have two disk bays, do a soft raid.)

Depending on the condition of your drive of course, this might not work.

GM

Troy Knabe wrote:
> I have a Linux x86_64 4.4 system with 2 disk bays, but only 1 disk in the system currently.  I believe the disk is failing and I have ordered a replacement.  Assuming that I am right, and the disk is failing, how can I dump the system disk from the failing disk to the new one, and still be able to boot off of the new disk?
>
> Thanks
> -Troy

George Magklaras

Senior Computer Systems Engineer/UNIX Systems Administrator
EMBnet Technical Management Board
The Biotechnology Centre of Oslo,
University of Oslo
http://www.biotek.uio.no/