what is "python /usr/share/rhn/virtualization/poller.py" good for?

Mike Kearey mkearey at redhat.com
Wed Apr 11 11:00:05 UTC 2007

Götz Reinicke wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently installed RHEL5 on a server and do get a mail once a minute
> from cron:
>
> Cron <root at server> python /usr/share/rhn/virtualization/poller.py
>

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/share/rhn/virtualization/poller.py", line 189, in ?
>     domain_list = poll_hypervisor()
>   File "/usr/share/rhn/virtualization/poller.py", line 63, in
> poll_hypervisor
>     conn = libvirt.open(None)
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/libvirt.py", line 39, in open
>     if ret is None:raise libvirtError('virConnectOpen() failed')
> libvirt.libvirtError: virConnectOpen() failed
>

> What is this about? I think, that this has to do with virtualisation,
> what I don't want to use on thi server.
>
> Any ideas or hints?
>

> Thanks and best regards!
>
> Götz Reinicke

The poller.py is from the package rhn-virtualization-host - you may
check this with :

# rpm -qf /usr/share/rhn/virtualization/poller.py
rhn-virtualization-host-1.0.1-41

Information on the package :

rpm -qi rhn-virtualization-host

The file poller.py polls the Dom0 for currently running DomU's ( guests ).

I am not entirely sure why you have it installed. It is simple enough to
remove it:

yum remove rhn-virtualization-host

Cheers,
Michael