ls tar having problem? backup and restore, but can't see the backup files

Herta Van den Eynde herta.vandeneynde at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 21:51:52 UTC 2007

On 10/04/07, ann kok <annkok2001 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I am running the fedore core5
>
> I used the tar zcvf to backup all systems eg: /var,
> /etc, /root... and restore it to 2nd-drive
>
> tar zcvf /2nd-drive/backup.tar.gz /var /etc /selinux
> /root....
>
> it didn't show any error in this tar and i can see the
> /var /usr has been backing up in the processing of the
> backup
>
> but i can't see those folders /var /usr when I restore
> it. I repeated and tried tar cvf .tar unstead of
> .tar.gz. but the result is same
>
> cd /2nd-drive
> tar zxvf backup.tar.gz
>
> have you had this expereience? Why?
>
> Thank you

Hm, works for me.  (Tested with a small group of directories and files
on a single filesystem.)
Some ideas/questions:
- how big is the tar file?
- what filesystem is /2nd-drive on? ("mount | grep /2nd-drive/" )
- what's the exit status of the "tar zcvf" and "tar zcvf" commands?
(Enter "echo $?" immediately after the command prompt returns.  If
you're using bash, it should return "0" for successful completion .)
- can you see the missing directories ig you list the contents of the
tar file? ("tar ztvf /2nd-drive/backup.tar.gz")

Kind regards,

Herta