how to configure /etc/nologin

nilesh vaghela nileshj.vaghela at gmail.com
Sat Apr 14 09:57:36 UTC 2007

you can reffer the file below. It clearly stat that root can login.

/usr/share/doc/pam-0.77/txts

# $Id: README,v 1.2 2002/06/27 05:43:28 agmorgan Exp $
#

This module always lets root in; it lets other users in only if the file
/etc/nologin doesn't exist.  In any case, if /etc/nologin exists, it's
contents are displayed to the user.

The default return value for this module is PAM_IGNORE, you can
override this with the successok module argument.

module services provided:

        auth            _authenticate and _setcred
        account         _acct_mgmt

optional arguments:

        file=<alternative-nologin-pathname>  - choose a different file
        successok                            - return PAM_SUCCESS if no file

[Original README by Michael K. Johnson]

Nilesh J. Vaghela