RHCE and other certs?

Terry Zink tzink at logicworks.net
Tue Apr 17 05:14:26 UTC 2007

Hi Evan,

Certification's weight seems to be based on the person hiring.  I know several past companies that I worked at cared very little for certifications.  In fact, I myself find little weight to certs, as I know several people who have higher ranking certs than I do, but in reality know very little.

I cannot speak for the LPI cert, but I can for the RHCE.  While in my opinion it skipped over a great many things that a true engineer should know, it was in depth in many other areas.  My opinion is go for it if you can, but don't think yourself a star if you get it.  Real experience (be it personal or work) is worth far more in my opinion.

That said, I can say my company rewarded me for my efforts in obtaining my certification as do many others.  It can mean a large chunk of salary difference.

Certs do however help while job hunting.  Having your RHCE will usually mean you are picked over someone who does not have an RHCE, unless he has far more experience, or blows you out of the water in the phone interview.

Again, it all depends on the mindset of the company and more importantly the person looking over the resumes.

Either way, I'm glad I have it and plan to eventually obtain my RHCA as well.  The RHCA covers many more areas that I believe the RHCE should have included.

---

Terry Zink
RHCE
Logicworks