Problem with vi editor

Herta Van den Eynde herta.vandeneynde at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 09:52:13 UTC 2007

Are you running vi or vim on both systems? (ls -l `which vi`)
We use vim om Red Hat.  When you save your edit, it actually creates a
new file (ls -li).
Your program probably uses a file handle pointing to the old inode.

If you only want to look at the content of the file, use "tail -f" as
Vivek already suggested.  Alternatively, you can use vi in read-only
mode (vi -R or view).

If you really want to change the log file while the program is still
running, you could use tools such as sed which don't rewrite the file.

Kind regards,

Herta