How to upgrade a diskless netboot system?

Neil Sedger redhat-list at moley.org.uk
Sun Apr 22 20:06:21 UTC 2007

I've setup a diskless system as described in RedHat's documentation, using system-config-netboot. OS originally copied down from the (now diskless) machine's HD.
Works lovely.

How do I now update the operating system and programs with rpm?

On the diskless machine most of the filesystem is read-only so rpm won't run there.
I can't just do a chroot on the server and run rpm there as that doesn't take account of all the 'snapshot' directories which have been set up and are mounted using pivot_root on the diskless when it boots.

I can't find any documentation or suggestions - RedHat or otherwise - on how upgrades should be done!

Cheers
Neil