Root shell with logging

oliver.fenker at bayerbbs.com oliver.fenker at bayerbbs.com
Wed Apr 25 06:43:17 UTC 2007

Hi all,

due to security contraints I am looking for a shell that logs all commands
that are invoked by the user, in particular if the user has become root. I
found two (non-RedHat) approaches: sudosh and rootsh. Sudosh seems to be a
pretty good tool, unfortunately it logs also passwords in clear-text
format. Rootsh not only logs keystrokes but also all the output to syslogd
and fills up our log files . So, both tools are not suitable for us. At
the moment we just copy the .bash_history file if a user logs out. But
this is not absolutely reliable.

Are there any other approaches? Could someone please point me to a usable
solution for this issue?

Thanks,
Oliver Fenker