RHEL 4 xen guest on RHEL 5 ?

Mike Kearey mkearey at redhat.com
Sun Apr 29 00:27:35 UTC 2007

clockwork at sigsys.org wrote:
> I know its doable. I want to know if there is a supported/official way
> to do
> it yet. I would imagine something would have to be modified in the install
> tree to do it. virt-install sure doesnt like stock rhel 4.4. I'm also
> working on para-virt hardware for the most part. (Really this is an apache
> 2.0 issue since thats what we need and there is no clean and maintainable
> way to do 2.0 on rhel 5. [which IMNSHO was a bad move for redhat]).

- RHEL 4 update 4 is supported as a fully virtualised guest on a RHEL5
virtualisation host. Of course, fully virtualised requires some hardware
assistance - a CPU with VT or VME .

- Only RHEL4 update 5 will be supported as a para-virt guest on a RHEL 5
virtualisation host

BTW, RHEL5 is aimed at being a virtualisation host as well as a host for
 web server and other services. Virtualisation is a way of solving the
problem you have - the need to run httpd 2.0 versions. The best approach
is to run a RHEL 4 guest to host the httpd 2.0 server.

Cheers