EL5 Networking woes continue... Need some advise.

Wartnick, James James.Wartnick at bestbuy.com
Tue Aug 7 17:40:02 UTC 2007

I have posted before regarding some networking issues I'm having. I have
been struggling for the past 2 weeks to get a stable network
Configuration with my new dell Inspiron 1420 laptop (I have EL5 working
perfectly on a Dell server. Both the server and laptop share the same
network).

The laptop has two network controllers:
1)	Intel(r) Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN
2) Broadcom Netlink Fast Ethernet

Wireless troubles:
When I compiled ndiswrapper, it complained of a CONFIG_4KSTACKS stack
issue. When I activated the wireless network, it works for a while
and then hangs the  laptop (I have to pull all laptop power and reboot).
My thought was the CONFIG_4KSTACKS issue. I was told to install:
dkms-ndiswrapper. I did. It still hangs. I was then told to look at
link: Visit: http://intellinuxwireless.org/?p=iwlwifi. I followed those
instructions but the "make" failed with:
  scripts/kconfig/conf -s arch/i386/Kconfig
  net/mac80211/Kconfig:5:warning: 'select' used by config symbol
'MAC80211' refer to undefined symbol 'CRYPTO_ECB'
  net/mac80211/Kconfig:11:warning: 'select' used by config symbol
'MAC80211' refer to undefined symbol 'NET_SCH_FIFO'
  CHK include/linux/version.h
  CHK include/linux/utsrelease.h
  make[1]: *** No rule to make target `init/main.o', needed by
`init/built-in.o'. Stop.
  make: *** [init] Error 2

I believe I need the kernel source and I'm no kernel compiling expert.
This seems a bit risky for me. ARG!

Wired troubles:
The Broadcom connection doesn't hang the laptop. However, after it runs
for a few minutes, it completely messes up the cable modem or router. I
haven't
figured out which yet (after it runs for a few minutes both the server
and laptop routing fails. I have to power-off/on the cable modem to get
networking working again. Anyone have a clue how that can happen???).
ARG!

There has to be some answers to getting either of these networking
components stable. ANY help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

-Jim