NTP issue Continued

Andrew.Bridgeman at corusgroup.com Andrew.Bridgeman at corusgroup.com
Wed Aug 8 08:46:20 UTC 2007

I am still having problems getting 40 redhat machines to use ntp and
synchronise with our Windows 2003 Cluster. I have tried a couple of things
suggested by people but have had no luck in fixing the issue. It seems that
when I put either the IP of the cluster, the name of the cluster or the
fully qualified name of the cluster in the config files the ntp service
communicates with the Windows cluster straight away and all the machines
are synchronised OK. The problem comes when i leave them afterwards for an
hour or a day or even a week and look back at the time on the machines and
they are all different.

I read on the net that the communication used with ntp is UDP over port 123
and was wondering if i have  some kind of polling issue after the initial
start-up of ntp. Does anyone know more detail on how the ntp part works.
i.e How often does is poll the cluster server for the time or is there a
way of checking the communication on that port is working.

Any  help on this would be much appreciated.

Regards

Andrew Bridgeman

This transmission is confidential and must not be used or disclosed by
anyone other than the intended recipient. Neither Corus Group Limited nor
any of its subsidiaries can accept any responsibility for any use or
misuse of the transmission by anyone.

For address and company registration details of certain entities
within the Corus group of companies, please visit
http://www.corusgroup.com/entities