Re: wtmp

Paula J. Lindsay wrote:
Hi everyone,
We have an issue here at the institute. Our rh ws 4's and fedora's are running on instruments and the lab uses the file wtmp to bill the users for the time they are spending on these instruments. The problem is, at the end of the month, the wtmp file deletes itself. We need to get it set up to copy to a file, i.e.,

wtmp=this month
wtmp1=last month
wtmp2=the month before

does anyone know how I can do this? Any advice/suggestions/opinions will be generously welcome.
Many thanks in advance.
Paula

My /etc/logrotate.conf rotates the wtmp file. Try doing that:

# no packages own wtmp -- we'll rotate them here
/var/log/wtmp {
    monthly
    create 0644 root utmp
    rotate 1