RHEL 4 or 5 AS 64Bit OS

Justin Zygmont justin at cityfone.net
Wed Aug 15 21:33:39 UTC 2007

Esquivel, Vicente wrote:
> Hello all,
>

> Is anyone running 64bit RHEL 4 or 5 AS on an intel based Dell Power Edge
> 2950 with 2x(dual core) Xeon Woodcrest processors with 16GB of RAM,
> since this is not true 64bit hardware but rather it is 32bit with 64bit
> extensions.  Dell claims that it supports 64bit RHEL on this hardware.
>
>   Can anyone tell me if there are having problems doing this or if there
> would be anything I should take into consideration when trying to decide
> to run 32bit RHEL or 64bit RHEL.  The application I will running on this
> server supports both 32 or 64 bit.

I have one of those, I know rhel 64 bit will work well with it, but I
can't remember if it already had the drivers for the PERC5i or not, you
may need to use a driver disk.  Unfortunately windoze had to go onto it
instead, and Dell doesn't know much about their own stuff.

I think rhel 5, 64 bit would be the best for you, hope it helps..

Justin Zygmont
System and Network Administrator
Cityfone Telecommunications Inc

604.629.8841