printers

Jim Canfield jcanfield at tshmail.com
Tue Aug 28 13:18:52 UTC 2007

mark wrote:
> Well, I just went out yesterday and got a really cheap HP 1018
> laserprinter. I
> looked at the Linux/CUPS printing d/b. I'm running RH9, and had to
> upgrade Perl
>  to install foo2zjs, *and* had to put a compiler, etc, on a firewall box
> (that's coming off, once this is done), and redhat-config-printer
> seems to do
> everything right, finds it as USB, and prints. I don't *see* any error
> messages, and lpq shows me the test page in the queue.
>
> Yes, I d/l the firmware update. Twice.
>
> Nothing comes out. Any thoughts?
Hey Mark. I tried many "budget" laser printers. While the 1018 is not on
that list, I have printed to many 1020's and I'm not real happy with the
results.  You really need a printer that will support PCL printing.  The
1022 seems to be working well, but costs a few dollars more.  The
cheapest laser I have found with full linux support has been the Lexmark
e120n, plus you get networking.

http://openprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Lexmark-E120n

Sorry this doesn't help your 1018 issues.

-Jim