xhost RHEL3 != RHEL4

Diego Brito Veiga - b04917 diego.veiga at freescale.com
Tue Aug 28 16:41:27 UTC 2007

I'm already using X11Forward in ssh.
I tested using rlogin but also need to set the xhost.

Diego

Message: 7
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 09:45:40 -0400
From: Andrew Bacchi <bacchi at rpi.edu>
Subject: Re: xhost RHEL3 != RHEL4
To: General Red Hat Linux discussion list <redhat-list at redhat.com>

I find no need to use xhost in RHEL4.  But I did find I needed to allow
X in the ssh command.

ssh -X -l username hostname

That will allow ssh to forward the X session to your client.

Diego Brito Veiga - b04917 wrote:

> > Hi guys,
> >
> >  From RHEL3 to RHEL4 there was some security improvements on gdm.conf file.
> > I know that I need to enable the gdm.conf DisallowTCP=false, set the
> > DISPLAY and do a xhost <machine> to open remote X windows.
> > End users concerns:
> > Is there a way to avoid the xhost <machine>? Just like RHEL3: set the
> > DISPLAY and open the remote X windows.
> >
> > Cheers

-- veritatas simplex oratio est -Seneca Andrew Bacchi Systems Programmer
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute phone: 518.276.6415 fax: 518.276.2809
http://www.rpi.edu/~bacchi/