Failover IP router

Steven Buehler steve at ibushost.com
Sun Dec 2 13:39:27 UTC 2007

	There was a lot of help, but almost all went toward RedHat Cluster Suite.  I tried to get that running with no luck.  My boss was also trying to find a solution and ran across a couple of programs.  "Pen" and "vrrpd" which were very easy to setup and doesn't require a 3rd box for the router.  The combination is called " The Ultimate Cheapskate Cluster".  Pen is for load balancing and will transfer people to the correct server if one of the other servers is down.  Vrrpd is used as a failover router.  Multiple servers run vrrpd in front of "Pen" using the same external IP address.  If one of the servers goes down, the other server takes over the use of that external IP.
	Both programs are free and very fast to setup compared to other options.  We were in a crunch for time and couldn't get an appliance ordered, shipped and setup in time for our deadline this Monday.  I believe that a couple of appliances will work better in the future, but for the demo and testing, this was perfect.  vrrpd works as a failover router and if money matters, the it is the way to go so that you don't have one point of failure like you would if you ran just ONE appliance in front of the machines.
http://siag.nu/pen/vrrpd-linux2.shtml

Thanks to all
Steve