consent to monitoring banner for ssh

Bill Tangren bjt at usno.navy.mil
Wed Dec 5 20:06:32 UTC 2007

> On Wed, 5 Dec 2007, Bill Tangren wrote:
>

>>> Well, you *could* do the "acceptance by logging in" thing... or you can
>>> force them to type [yes|no].  Here's how I accomplish that.
>>
>> Firstly, thanks for the help.
>>
>> I've done this on a test platform, and I end up with a dialog box when I
>> log into the GUI, but hitting the cancel button still lets me in.
>>
>> I DO NOT get a prompt when I ssh, nor do I get one from the text console
>> or tty consoles (ctl+F1 through ctl+F6).
>>
>> Any ideas on implement this in those circumstances?
>>

> Have you tried implementing this by replacing the user's shell (in
> /etc/passwd or equivalent) with your own wrapper script?

Hmmm...replace bash (or leave bash alone and replace the login shell in
/etc/passwd) with a script that calls bash if they say OK? No, I hadn't
thought of that. I'll try it on my test platform, and report back. It will
be interesting to see how Windows programs like putty and winscp handle
it.

--
Bill Tangren
U.S. Naval Observatory