consent to monitoring banner for ssh

Carl G. Riches cgr at u.washington.edu
Thu Dec 6 00:32:27 UTC 2007

On Wed, 5 Dec 2007, Bill Tangren wrote:

>>> Firstly, thanks for the help.
>>>
>>> I've done this on a test platform, and I end up with a dialog box when I
>>> log into the GUI, but hitting the cancel button still lets me in.
>>>
>>> I DO NOT get a prompt when I ssh, nor do I get one from the text console
>>> or tty consoles (ctl+F1 through ctl+F6).
>>>
>>> Any ideas on implement this in those circumstances?
>>>

>> Have you tried implementing this by replacing the user's shell (in
>> /etc/passwd or equivalent) with your own wrapper script?
>
> Hmmm...replace bash (or leave bash alone and replace the login shell in
> /etc/passwd) with a script that calls bash if they say OK? No, I hadn't
> thought of that. I'll try it on my test platform, and report back. It will
> be interesting to see how Windows programs like putty and winscp handle
> it.

We did a somewhat-similar task at a place where I used to work.  We set
everyone's login shell to a locally-written perl script.  That perl script
did things such as ensure that the user had permission to log in to the
system (checking against user database), check the user's quota, print out
a blurb, then exec( )'d tcsh. It needed some interupt handling, though, to
fit what you want to do.  I don't have the code anymore, but this might
give you an idea of what direction to go.  (Would you need to record
user's answers to your question in a database for future reference?  This
might give you that ability.)

This worked with all of the SSH clients we had around (OpenSSH, Tectia,
TeraTerm, maybe PuTTY).

Carl

--
Carl G. Riches