consent to monitoring banner for ssh

Bill Tangren bjt at usno.navy.mil
Tue Dec 4 20:44:34 UTC 2007

A new policy has been implemented here at work. The old policy stated
that, when someone logs in to a system via ssh, I had to display a consent
to monitor banner, which is easy to implement.

The new policy, however, requires that the user has to somehow signify
that they have read and will abide by the policy. In essence, I have to
get a yes or no input from the user, possibly just after they log on, and
if they say no, log them off. If they say yes, they get to proceed.

My question: what is the best way to implement this? I have to make sure
the user cannot remove this functionality for future logins, so I can't
put it in any of their login scripts. This is easy to implement for GUI
logins, but I don't know the best way to proceed for ssh. Any ideas?

--
Bill Tangren
U.S. Naval Observatory

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit