I got Linux server problem .. please help

Pankaj Batra batra786 at yahoo.co.in
Wed Dec 5 06:18:07 UTC 2007

Sir
      Thanks for Reply but i even issue init 6 also but the same problem is there and when i manually swicth off the Server from on/off button when it hangs then on start of server there is recovering of journals and it shows that server was shut uncleanly so thats the point of concern.

  And another problem is that LPD service always have to be started manually after server starts and at the booting time it shows failed and bind '515 kinde of error is showwn at booting time.

  Please REPLY as soon as possible.

  Thanks .

  Pankaj Batra wrote:
> Sir/Madam
>                   Please help me out.I have Red Hat 8 installed on
 the Xeon HCL server with 4 SCSI disk each 36 GB with RAID 5(harware)
 configured.

> Two days back RAID degraded then i patched the Drives and rebuilded
 the RAID and then I boot the machine with rescue CD of Red hat CD 1.
> but could not see the complete data on partitions. So i installed the
 OS again and i can retrieve the whole data.But i am facing one problem
 that when i shut down the server with init 0.

> it stops at the following point.
> Shutting down eth0 [OK]
> Shutting down loopback interface [OK]
> INIT: no more processes left in this runlevel.
  This is correct bahaviour, you told the box to halt, not to reboot
 (init
6 is reboot)
  from /etc/inittab
  # Default runlevel. The runlevels used by RHS are:
#   0 - halt (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
#   1 - Single user mode
#   2 - Multiuser, without NFS (The same as 3, if you do not have
networking)
#   3 - Full multiuser mode
#   4 - unused
#   5 - X11
#   6 - reboot (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
  Also, using redhat 8 would be a bad idea - it is exceptionally out of
date and even security fixes are no longer released, I'd advise you to
update it to something a little more recent. Generally a minimal
 install
and then adding the packages you need will still work well on older
hardware.
  --
Steve