Cannot create files/directories that have numeric only names

Gary Waters gwaters-web at paradise.caltech.edu
Thu Dec 6 00:16:38 UTC 2007

Hello,

I believe I have the same issue as Madan in the quote below, where I can
not create files or directories that have numeric only names.
This just started happening 2 days ago.

I am running:
RHEL AS 4 (Update 5)
LVM with Filesystem = ext3

Same Problem.
How to reproduce:
======================

root at server [~]# mkdir 1
mkdir: cannot create directory `1': No such file or directory
root at server
[~]# mkdir 12
mkdir: cannot create directory `12': No such file or directory
root at server [~]# mkdir 1a2
root at server [~]#

Actual results:
======================
mkdir: cannot create directory `1': No such file or directory

This also includes numeric files..
I can not create them via anything i can think of, via echo, dd, touch,
etc etc.
C programs, Perl, and Bash script can not write to them either.

Expected results:
======================
should be able to create a directory or a file with a numeric name

======================

What I can do:

I can write to the same filesystem over NFS on a different machine just
fine.

I can boot up off of a Live CD and write to the file system fine.

===============
I tried using statically linked binaries like busybox, and I can not
create the files.

I did the rpm --verify on coreutils thinking something wrong there, but
nothing showed up.

I updated the system completely to RHEL AS 4 Update 6, (all packages
including the kernel), and the problem still persists.

Suggestions?  Cures?
I am looking at rebuilding the server, and lots of down time...

Regards,
Gary